Monday, June 20, 2011

A Delightful Detour

A couple of months ago, a friend's long-term boyfriend shot me an email; he'd heard that I would be crossing the Atlantic and wondered if I could make a stop-over in Copenhagen to surprise my friend who would be moving there. So, one week ago, I landed in the Copenhagen airport and stepped into the Arrivals section to meet up with Thomas and a very happy – and rather shocked – Sara. Thomas had proposed to her only two days previously in Tallinn, Estonia, and I was thrilled to be part of the ongoing surprises he had in store for her!

The first day is all a bit of a blur. (I did arrive around 3:00 am EST or some such time, after all.) We had quite the frivolous brunch upon my arrival in Copenhagen, and then went straight to the harbor for a boat-tour of the city. I'm sure the boat tour was all lovely, but truthfully I remember very little as I was half-asleep through a hefty portion of it! I do remember dozens of tourists crowded around a small statue of the little mermaid, however...

Anyway, I've spent the past week enjoying Danish hospitality, food, history and – most of all – the company of these wonderful friends. We've spent most nights out at his family's home in the countryside, filling ourselves up on home-cooked multi-course meals (with veggies fresh from the neighbor's farm!) and talking late into the evening on a terraced patio, watching the sun set at 11:00. But of course, a trip to Denmark wouldn't be complete without a bit of sight-seeing too. There's too much to tell, but I'll try and get in some entertaining stories in the following posts. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear that you're alive and well! and spending time with friends :) Keep us posted!!!

    -Saludos desde DC

    ReplyDelete